Outset Medical Presenting Research on Human Factors Testing, Home Dialysis Patient Experience and More During ASN Kidney Week 2022
Findings include home dialysis patients treating with the Tablo® Hemodialysis System have lower attrition rates compared to other modalities
The research will be presented at the
“The research shows that Tablo is easy to use for patients and healthcare professionals with 100 percent of both groups reporting they can use it safely and effectively,” said
Key research findings highlight patient, healthcare professional and supply chain data points.
Abstracts focused on home include:
- Human Factors Validation of the Tablo Hemodialysis System in Home Patients – Results from the largest human factors study ever performed on a hemodialysis device, based on the number of tested tasks, demonstrated that patients and care partners can easily and quickly learn to use Tablo. Among patients and their care partners in the study, the observed use error rate was just 0.9% on more than 5,400 tasks tested.
- Simulating Strategies to Launch a Home Therapies Program in a Conventional Hemodialysis Facility – Home dialysis retention of both incident and prevalent patients, as seen with the Tablo system, can accelerate home growth and revenue.
- The Tablo Hemodialysis System at Home: Comparing Real World to the IDE Trial – Observed real-world evidence is similar to the results of the home IDE study: with high treatment adherence, 100% patient retention and achievement of adequacy goals using more flexible dialysis schedules.
Initial Experience with Home Hemodialysis Using the Tablo Hemodialysis System – A diverse group of patients at
Satellite Healthcarewere trained to use Tablo at home in 11 sessions or less. Treatment adherence exceeded 85% and patients experienced low rates of attrition.
- Clinician and Patient Support through Supply Chain Innovation during the COVID-19 Pandemic – A new long-term global supply chain strategy was implemented to help ensure patients received life-saving dialysis treatments. Over a 13-month review period, total treatments more than doubled and there were no occurrences of delivery interruption during the height of the pandemic.
Additionally, the following research related to the acute setting will be presented at the conference:
- Human Factors Validation of the Tablo Hemodialysis System with Health Care Practitioners – As part of the largest human factors study ever performed on a hemodialysis device, clinicians performed 7,365 tasks with an observed use error rate of just 0.5%. Additionally, 100% of participants in the study said they could use Tablo safely and effectively.
Single Center Experience: Conversion from Conventional CRRT to Tablo Adaptive Dialysis – Tablo Adaptive Therapy compared to Continuous Renal Replacement Therapy (CRRT) improved nursing efficiency, reduced cost and increased patient time off dialysis at
Comparison of Mid and Conventional Dialysate Flow in Critically Ill Patients Undergoing Intermittent Dialysis – Urea clearance targets were easily achieved on both Tablo, at a dialysate flow rate (Qd) of 300 ml/min, and conventional devices at a Qd of 600 ml/min at the
Cleveland Clinic. When using a slightly larger dialyzer with a Qd of 300 ml/min, there was no statistical difference in observed clearance.
“Kidney disease restricts the freedom of many patients, and Tablo is changing lives by allowing people to decide when, where and how they want to dialyze. Our commitment to continuous clinical research is central to our commitment to improving kidney treatment, and making home dialysis a reality for more patients,” said
The abstracts can be read in their entirety on the
Outset is a medical technology company pioneering a first-of-its-kind technology to reduce the cost and complexity of dialysis. The Tablo Hemodialysis System, FDA-cleared for use from the hospital to the home, represents a significant technological advancement that transforms the dialysis experience for patients and operationally simplifies it for providers. Tablo serves as a single enterprise solution that can be utilized across the continuum of care, allowing dialysis to be delivered anytime, anywhere and by anyone. The integration of water purification and on-demand dialysate production enables Tablo to serve as a dialysis clinic on wheels, with 2-way wireless data transmission and a proprietary data analytics platform powering a new holistic approach to dialysis care. Tablo is a registered trademark of